Veterans Day on November 11 honors America’s 18.8 million veterans, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. This sacred day, made a national holiday in 1938, is a time to thank those who served in the Armed Forces to protect our way of life. Communities everywhere will honor our soldiers with parades, speeches, somber remembrances, the playing of the National Anthem and flying of the American flag.
On Veterans Day, check out these events in Southern California:
- The San Diego Veterans Day Parade: The 31st annual parade will kick off on Saturday, November 11th at 11 AM, honoring veterans and their sacrifice for the country. The parade is produced by Veterans Week San Diego, a group of dedicated volunteers.
- Veterans Day on the USS Midway: After the parade, join the festivities on the USS Midway with live entertainment, activities for kids, give-a-ways, and a Salute to Service Festival .
- Heroes Hall Veterans Foundation Event: This free event at the OC Fair and Event Center not only has live music and entertainment, but is also packed with a lot of great resources for veterans, including job access, free health screenings, and a resource fair. Don’t forget your non-perishable food items to donate to the event’s food drive that supports veterans.
- Surf City Veterans Day Car Show: Visitors can walk through the over 275 unique cars, featuring woodies, muscle cars, and more. The Wall of Remembrance traveling memorial will be at the event, and donations will be accepted benefiting US combat wounded veterans. Spectators’ admission is free.
- A Salute to Veterans: On November 18th at 10 AM, downtown Riverside will host the 12th annual parade and expo to honor veterans’ service.
After all the celebrations have come to an end, spend some quality time with a veteran and be inspired.