While the kids are finally (whew!) back to school, October’s inviting weather remains an ideal time to create your own endless summer with endless family fun possibilities. With back-to-school shopping all done and holiday gift buying still a blip on the calendar, weekends can be freed up to do fun activities the whole family can enjoy:
- The Irvine Railroad’s Pumpkin Patch is a great place to kick off fall with a haunted house, a hay pyramid, hay rides, train rides, and lots of other seasonal activities.
- Since 1957, Tustin Tiller Days has been the most popular festival in town. Enjoy carnival rides, games, and so much more!
San Diego County
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography will host the Haunted Aquarium: Sea Monster Mash, showcasing uniquely spooky creatures of the deep.
- Old Town San Diego’s Dia De Los Muertos celebrates the Day of the Dead with vibrant history, culture, and tradition.
Riverside and San Bernardino County
- Oak Glen has many great U-Pick farms, where visitors can pick their own apples, perfect for baking a fresh, homemade apple pie.
- Big Horse Corn Maze & Harvest Festival has every fall activity you could ever want, including an 11 acre corn maze, mini mazes, pie eating contests, and pumpkin bowling.
Greater Los Angeles
- Sleepover with the animals at Boo at the L.A. Zoo Overnight. The night will include ghost stories, a tour of the zoo, as well as Dinner, s’mores, and continental breakfast.
- The Marina Spooktacular has activities for all ages, including bounce houses, pumpkin carving, and carnival games. But beware: at night, the Spooktacular will get even spookier with tours of haunted pirate ships.
There are also pumpkin patches scattered throughout Southern California- check out this comprehensive list and grab your wagons!
In October, the sun is still shining, the days are still long and there’s plenty of ways to create new family memories!