July is officially upon us, which means that we are in the middle of summer break! It’s time to make the most of the season with our Summer Series: your guide to tips, tricks, and the best of Southern California living.
This week we are focusing on all things food, giving you helpful hints and different ways to enjoy the tastes of Summer.
If you need an excuse to get outside and indulge in tasty summer food and treats, July is the official month to celebrate picnics. With warm, sunny weather across the country, it’s no surprise July garnered the titles of National Picnic Month. Here’s some tips to get you going:
- Find a scenic spot for a picnic – a park with plenty of shade, a beach, or a spot next to the lake.
- Fill a cooler with some of your favorite foods and drinks. Find an assortment of picnic recipes here.
- Don’t forget the supplies- load up on cold napkins, plates, and utensils. Bring along a blanket to spread on the ground.
- Load up on entertainment – Frisbee, badminton, croquet or bocce ball, cards, or board games.
Don’t know any good picnic spots? Don’t worry, here’s a list of great spots in Southern California (plus a few of our own favorites):
- Griffith Park: This spot is sure to impress with panoramic views of Los Angeles and even the Hollywood Sign on clear days.
- Malibu Bluffs Park: Need to escape city life? This scenic spot will surround you with nature, including a pretty spectacular view of the ocean.
- La Jolla Cove: Not only is there a view of the ocean from the cove, but it is also a popular sea lion hangout!
- Irvine Regional Park: This park has it all. There is a zoo, a lake, horses and ponies, hiking and biking; what more could you ask for?
- Crystal Cove: A beautiful Orange County beach, Crystal Cove is the perfect picnic backdrop. There is even a restaurant right on the beach in case you didn’t pack enough provisions.
- Joshua Tree: Surrounded by a landscape unique to the Southern California desert, this is a great area for some post-picnic exploring.
With all of these helpful tips, you can make the most of National Picnic Month!